Our Library

Our Library

Friday, February 20, 2015

Black History Month

February is Black History Month.  During this month, I share books by my favorite black authors and illustrators with my classes.

My favorite black authors are Christopher Paul Curtis and Patricia McKissack.

I fell in love with Christopher Paul Curtis' writing when I read The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963.  (I plan to read a portion of that book with my 3rd-5th grade classes next week.).  His writing is fun and teaches history without bogging one down in the history that he is trying to share.  He's just so talented.  He won a Newbery Honor for The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963 in 1999 and the Newbery Medal for Bud, Not Buddy in 2000.  His website is http://www.nobodybutcurtis.com/

Patricia McKissack is also very talented.  I particularly enjoy her use of dialect.  My favorite book by Patricia McKissack is Flossie and the Fox - a southern version of Little Red Riding Hood.  Her use of dialect in this book is OUTSTANDING.  I love to read it aloud (I shared this one with 3rd grade this week).

My favorite black illustrator is Jerry Pinkney.  Everything he does is beautiful.  He has won five Caldecott honors and one Caldecott Medal (for The Lion and the Mouse in 2010).  His website is http://www.jerrypinkneystudio.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment